Twelve tips to interview users to design a human-centered innovation using Design Thinking
The interview is the best-known observation technique to enter in empathy with the users. As any other methods, there are best practices as described below.
1. Pair up ! One to ask questions. The other one to write notes and take pictures
2. Your goal is to get him / her talking as much as possible
3. One question at a time!
4. Stay neutral to avoid influencing the user
5. Silence is good ! The user thinks, feels and is going to… talk
6. Watch his / her emotions. The body talks…
7. Open questions
8. Get the users telling stories
9. Search for contradictions
10. Ask 5 times why to deeply understand your user
11. Identify his / her challenges, the famous jobto-be-done
12. Take pictures for the sharing of your interviews
Illustrations Michelle Laplante